Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Fabric of Island Life

Margie Bartley recycles beautiful fabrics scraps into gorgeous summer quilts for when the nights chill down in Samoa's dry season.  

These two boys asked for quilts which didn't have too many flowers, so she sorted out the more boyish designs from the floral and created two much loved island boy quilts.  Price 25 tala each (approx $12 AUS)

My Mother-in-law selected pink hues and this queen size quilt was created for her for 70 tala ($35 AUS)

Last week I asked Margie if she would make me scrap fabric bunting, she had never seen any before but came up with this celebration of recycling, all for 10 tala (approx $5 AUS).   There are hidden treasures to be found in downtown Apia and Margie's sense of fun and enjoyment for creating with her island prints is pure gold.
They look great in the playroom.

4 comments:

  1. Julie I love it! Very clever. I too have lost interest, actually life gets in the way. You have spurred me on to put some posts up.
    I absolutely love those quilts.....would love one for my bed, queen bed, maybe when you have a trip home again? Would love to hear how the 31 yr 3's are going. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful are those!!! Next year's birthday presents please. I promise I will let the boys use them and not commandeer them like the masks. (Only on loan I swear!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie and Annie; What colours for the backing sheet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Julie, you are a most tasteful groovy gal.I'm sure you will choose well anyway. Maybe not pink and not pale because our boys get DIRTY. Maybe blue and green backings to differentiate. Same as their dummies when they were babies! Hooray! Now they just need bedrooms! Please tell Margie she has an international fan base!

    ReplyDelete