Monday, September 3, 2012

March of the Teuila

The beginning of September heralds the Teuila Festival in Samoa.


The Teuila is the National Flower, it looks like a ginger flower and I am embarrassed to admit that I am not sure if it is a ginger or not.  


Regardless it is a beautiful flower, though not one we can decorate the house with as it induces hayfever fever!




One might assume the festival celebrates the end of the dry season and what is essentially a tropical winter.

Alas it is intended to attract tourists, nothing more.

My boys and I happened to catch the opening March. 







The little fellas were home from school, and I had to pop down town to send our failure to vote, please explain or be fined letters to AEC.  Accidentally we became almost the sole audience for the opening March, I would guess there were approximately 40 other people there to witness the event. 



Marching is very popular in Samoa and the March was headed by the ever popular Samoan Police band, a daily group of popular marchers.


Apart from providing an excellent Marching Band, the  Police also control traffic in the mornings and their Colonial past still echo in the white gloves.



I am not sure who each group represented as many banners were in Samoan, it was raining and I was attempting to keep my little ones dry, while taking photos with my little point and shoot.


These were the most animated Marchers.




These two Darlings represented the Senior Samoan Citizens from Australia and boisterously started an Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi, upon seeing us!  How did they know where we were from?  Unfortunately I have never enjoyed the Oi Oi Oi chant, still I admired the ladies marching in the rain, nice that one brought her lunch.




These marching beauties are vying for the coveted role of Miss Samoa. The one with the crown is the current reigning Lovely One.




Traditionally there is a Miss Fa Fa Fini Pageant during Teuila, unfortunately this year it was held during Independence, just before I got back from Australia. 



Of course not all these ladies are Fa Fa Fini's.


These lovelies were a stand out in the March.


Let the Festivities begin!



2 comments:

  1. Another thing for me to google! Fa Fa Fini. You're making wonderful memories.
    My daughter got married in Apia. It was the only way to avoid inviting the rellies, including me! A beautiful wedding and lovely flowers. It worked out that they had their wedding, honeymoon and flights for less than a conventional wedding here. She got divorced in Brisbane after two children, boys. Oh well....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just like to say "fa fa fini"! It sounds like a children's book to me,Juju. They are quite stunning and making me feel very positive about flat chestedness. I rather liked the sandalled policeman too. Cool uniforms!

    ReplyDelete