Friday, March 23, 2012

Lady Bump

It seems that everyone can dance in Samoa.  
This is my lovely friend Carla, 
she is from Chile and became passionate about 
Polynesian dance at Easter Island.
She shared her dancing with us. 




Earlier in the year I attended a dance workshop in Samoa.  
As it turns out I am probably a better nightclub dancer
than workshop dancer!
I realised this when I was requested to dance at the back
and then I attempted a pirouette a young Fa'afafine 
who will be known as Daisy squealed with laughter.
I did make a nice friend though, so not all was lost.




So now I must live precariously through my children as they attend creative contemporary movement classes.  Smiley saw it advertised at school and pleaded to go, then they had to shake their hips.  Later Bunny had a dream that he was to perform in the show which is to happen at the end.  He was with his friend who is no longer living in Samoa and they were wearing skirts and hiding under the fale because they didn't want to shake their bottoms. But the class is not all bottom shaking, they are learning about the elements of dance through fun games and challenging themselves to balance books on their heads while moving.  They look like they are having fun don't they?  All the other boys are at Soccer, but they don't like that game.

2 comments:

  1. So happy! I remember B2 pirouetting the diagonal length of a hall in Grade 2 but he gave it up when it clashed with soccer. There's a lot to be said for the Billy Elliot gene!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure where they get the gene, may have been all those nightclub nights and dancing down behind the bar at Rosalie. They were doing ballet moves yesterday but as they have no knowledge of ballet they didn't know they were doing it.

    ReplyDelete